Dr. Vijay Jayakrishnan
Senior Consultant - Clinical Imaging & Interventional Radiology
Interventional Radiology, Interventional Neuroradiology, Endovascular Neurosurgery
An expert in radiology, interventional radiology, interventional neuroradiology, and endovascular neurosurgery, Dr. Vijay Jayakrishnan has nearly three decades of experience in performing diagnostic and advanced interventional procedures like endovascular interventional radiology. With his caliber, he is considered a top endovascular interventional radiologist. Trained at some of the finest hospitals in India and the UK, his areas of specialisation include non-invasive treatment of aneurysms and vascular malformations using coils, stents, and onyx and current intra-arterial clot extraction treatment for acute stroke.
Dr. Vijay Jayakrishnan is also currently associated with Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, UK as a Consultant - Interventional Neuroradiologist.
MBBS,MD,FRCR,MSc (Neurovascular Radiology),Certificate course in Clinical Education
His experience lies in Diagnostic Radiology, Interventional Radiology, Interventional neuroradiology and Endovascular neurosurgery.
- Consultant Neuro-radiologist and Interventional Radiologist at Newcastle hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- Consultant Neuro-radiologist (Interventional & Diagnostic) at The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, UK
- Specialist registrar (Sub speciality Neuro and interventional Radiology) at Institute of Neurosciences, Glasgow, UK
- Specialist registrar ( in radiology ) at West of Scotland Training, Glasgow, UK
- Specialist registrar ( in Neuroradiology ) at the Institute of Neurosciences, Glasgow, UK
Awards & Recognitions
- UKNG Travel Grant 2001 - From the United Kingdom Neurovascular group towards undertaking a two-week attachment to observe the use of liquid embolic agents in intracranial aneurysms, in Prof. Jacque Moret’s unit at Foundation Rothschild hospital, Paris.
- Kodak Prize 2000 - From the Scottish Radiological society for the best scientific paper (Treatment of benign oesophageal strictures in children – endoscopic bouginage vs. fluoroscopic balloon dilatation) presented at the annual meeting.
- SANS Travel Grant 1999 – From the Scottish Association of Neurological Sciences towards undertaking the International MSc. in Neurovascular diseases.
Fellow, Royal College of Radiologists, UK
Member, British Society of Neuro-radiologists
Member, UK Neurovascular group
Member, European society of minimally invasive neurological therapy
Executive member, Northeast cancer network.
Life member, Indian medical association
Life member Indian Radiology and Imaging association.
Moorthy S; Jayakrishnan VK; Potty NS: Sonographic findings in infantile bacterial meningitis. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging 1992; 2:111
Beevi R; Jayakrishnan VK et al. Fetus in Fetu detected antenatally. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging 1992; 2:129-131
Jayakrishnan VK; Moorthy S; Potty NS: Cranial sonographic findings in patients with meningomyeloceles. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging 1993; 3:9-13
4. Jayakrishnan VK; Moorthy S; Potty NS: Ultrasound of the chest. Indian
Paediatrics 1993; 30(2): 281-7
Jayakrishnan VK, Teasdale E: Torticollis due to atlanto-axial rotatory fixation following general anaesthesia. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2000; 14:583-585
Jayakrishnan VK, Wilkinson AG: Treatment of oesophageal strictures in children: a comparison of fluoroscopically guided balloon dilatation with surgical bouginage. Pediatric Radiology 2001;31:98-101
Jayakrishnan VK, Rodesch G, Alvarez H, Lasjaunias P: A case of multiple intracranial aneurysms with unruptured associated aneurysm and newly developing ruptured aneurysm. Interventional Neuroradiology 2001; 7:259-262
Jayakrishnan VK, White PM, Teasdale EM et al: Subtraction CT angiography of intra and extracranial vessels: technical considerations and preliminary experience.American Journal of Neuroradiology 2003;24:451-455
Thammaroj J, Jayakrishnan VK, Lamin S et al. MTI (dendron) variable detachable coils- preliminary clinical experience in cerebral aneurysms in Glasgow. Interventional Neuroradiology 2003;9:47-52
M. K. Varma, K. Price, V. Jayakrishnan V, B. Manickam and G. Kessell: Anaesthetic considerations for interventional neuroradiology. BJA 2007 99(1):75-85
D. Butteriss, V.Jayakrishnan: Acute spinal cord compression. BJR 2007;80,686-689
D. Butteriss, A.Gholkar, D.Mitra, D.Birchall, and V.Jayakrishnan: Single centre experience of Cerecyte coils in the treatment of intracranial aneurysms: Initial experience and early follow up results. AJNR 2007; October
C.M. Lee, V. Jayakrishnan: Malignant transformation arising in association with a posterior meningocele in an adult: an unusual case. Clin Radiol 63(7):829-32, 2007 Nov 26
C Barrett, V Jayakrishnan, A Gholkar, N Todd: Coil embolisation of intercostal artery for operative localisation of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulae BJNS June 2009
K Lobotesis, V Jayakrishnan et al: Use of intravenous aspirin in endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Abstracts American Society of Neuroradiology 2009.
K Lobotesis, A Gholkar, V Jayakrishnan: Early migration of a self-expanding intracranial stent: Neurosurgery 2010;67(2): E516-E517
17. D. Mitra, B. Gregson, V.Jayakrishnan, A.Gholkar et al: Treatment of Poor grade Subarachnoid haemorrhage Trial. AJNR 2014;10.3174/ajnr.A4061
18. Chinchure, V. Jayakrishnan, D. Krishnaprasad: Endovascular strategies for management of intradural vertebral artery dissecting aneurysms, Neurology India 2018, 66 (1) 83-89
19. B V Maramattam, V. Jayakrishnan et al: False localizing oculomotor nerve palsy after endovascular coiling of a posterior communicating artery aneurysm. Neurology India 2018, 66(3) 830-832